Monday, August 23, 2010

Sante Fe Adventures

Parker photo shoot! Not only is he absolutely adorable, but such a sweet spirited baby as well. I can't wait to get to know this little guy!
It's been about 5 months since I have seen Parker. He has gotten so big!
He loves to tell stories!
The face of an angel.
He won best in show! Well deserved!
Another Indian tribe.
An Indian wedding dress.
The Indian Market hosted a fashion show. There were various tribes represented with their garments. It was incredible to see!
Santa Fe downtown church where RENT was filmed. Sante Fe was celebrating its 400th year of being a city. The oldest capital in the US!
Oh photo booth, you provide fun entertainment for us.
Love this boy! (I look a little aggressive in this pic...)
Such cool statues!
Brother and sister!
Joe Joe and Megan Gril's turn
Mommy and Parker on Borough Street!
There were markets like this everywhere downtown. Joe and I bought a sun (on the right side) to match our kitchen plates!
There were statues everywhere!
What sweet boys.
Parker was so glad to see Uncle Joe Joe!

Last Wednesday, I had another opportunity to fly out to Sante Fe to spend time with Joe and his family. I feel so blessed that I have been able to visit as much as twice this summer. It is such a neat place to be-with beautiful scenery, historic places, great food, and a very interesting culture. Sante Fe is so different than the east coast and what I am used to. I think that is why I have enjoyed visiting it so much. Well, that and getting to see Joe perform in world-class operas on an amazing venue. :)

When I arrived on Wednesday, I was able to get in a little before noon. We had a great time shopping around Albuquerque and even got a few things for ourselves. We had lunch at a favorite-Buffalo Wild Wings. It's been so long since we have been there! When we got back to Sante Fe, I was a little tired and was in need of a rest. We rested up before getting ready for the evening. Joe was such a sweetheart and took my to our favorite restaurant, Tomisita's, for dinner. They have the best guacamole! After a wonderful dinner, we went to the movie theater to see the Expendables. Needless to say, Joe loved it, and I was a little squeamish. Lots of action scenes! It was a great movie, Sylvester Stallone style.

On Thursday, I woke up a little early (still on east coast time) and got Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast. It sure does take a few days to get adjusted to the time change! Joe had a little rehearsal for his scene in the morning. I went with him, and after the rehearsal, we spent time together and getting ready for his show that night. I was able to go to a world premiere opera called "Life is a Dream" that was being performed this summer at the Sante Fe opera. It was awesome! I thoroughly enjoyed myself-Joe did a great job!

Friday morning was an earlier morning. Joe got up and had a morning rehearsal while I was getting ready for the day. When he finished, he picked me up and we were off for the day. A few nights before, we had been discussing what would be a treat for such a great summer. I looked up some information and decided to book a massage at a favorite spa in town! Neither of us had ever had a massage, and it will definitely not be the last. It was amazing!!! I can't believe what I have been missing all these years. The spa was in a state park nestled on the side of a mountain. The views were breathtaking and very relaxing. For dinner, Joe had been wanting to eat at another local favorite, Gabriel's. The best part about this restaurant was again, the guacamole. This time, when you ordered an appetizer of guacamole, a waiter came to the table and made it fresh right in front of you! It was so neat to see how all of the ingredients came together. I am definitely excited to give it a try once I'm home. I stayed at Joe's house that evening and watch a few episodes of the Office I've been wanting to catch up on while he performed at the opera. :)

Saturday was filled with lots of fun things to do. After Joe's rehearsal that morning, he picked me up and took me to lunch. We stayed around town and even bought some salt water taffy at the local grocery store. We had both been craving it-such a great summertime treat! Joe's family flew in on Saturday-Paul, Missy, Jessie, and Parker. It was so great to see them! We met them at the hotel were they were staying and quickly hopped in the car to travel downtown. This weekend was the Indian Market festival where hundreds of booths are setup in the Plaza of Sante Fe with crafts, jewelry, pottery and other goods for sale. There were so many awesome booths-I think my favorite part was hearing the stories of ancestors, relatives, and traditions in each station. We were able to walk around and shop a bit, but decided to come back on Sunday to look around a bit more. That night, we introduced the his family to Tomasita's. I think I could eat there every week! We had a great time catching up.

On Sunday, we all met up for the Indian market in the morning. The Shadday's were able to find some amazing deals and the cutest outfits for Jessie's boys. I can't wait to see pictures in their cowboy and indian costumes! We all got a little something-jewelry, books, costumes, jackets, drums, and etc. For lunch, we went to a local favorite called the Blue Corn Cafe. Again, it was fabulous. Every restaurant that I have been to in Sante Fe has been fabulous. After a full day of shopping, we rested up before going to the opera house that evening. Sunday was the night Joe has been preparing for all summer-the apprentice scene performance. All apprentices-technicians, costume designers, singers, and stage crews were in charge of the show. There were 8 scenes in all performed by the cast. Joe's scene was a selection from Moby Dick, one of the newest operas to debut. It was AWESOME. By far the best! I was so proud of him. He has worked so hard this summer, and it sure did pay off. He is becoming quite an amazing performer. I am so blessed to be able to share in his accomplishments. I can't wait to see what doors continue to open!

All in all, another great trip. I was so happy to be able to spend time with Joe and his family. I am sad that I live far away, but I always thoroughly enjoy the time I do get to spend with them. They are all precious! Congrats on a great summer Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment