Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day and a Sendoff

Our attempt at a self portrait until...

...someone helped us out! Washington Memorial.

One of the Smithsonian Museums.

Washington Monument on the left...

...and the Capital Building on the right. Cool!

Joe Joe and Megan Gril on the Metro!

When Joe decided to go to Maryland, I was excited for the opportunity to visit Washington, DC when I came to see him. The University of Maryland is about a mile from the Metro to DC, and the ride into the city is about 20 minutes. We knew our Labor Day was going to be spent in the city going to museums, walking about downtown, and seeing what the city had to offer. When we arrived in DC, we walked around to see the Capital building and the Washington monument. Everything is relatively close in the downtown area, so we were able to see quite a bit. After seeing the major monuments, we headed to the Holocaust museum. I have always wanted to go, but have never had the opportunity.


When we walked into the museum, we were given an id with a story about a person that actually endured the Holocaust. While going throughout the exhibit, we read through the id and what that particular person was experiencing during that time. At the end, it revealed the fate of each id. My id stated that I lived, Joe's died. The museum contained an enormous amout of reading, videos, and artifacts. I was completely overwhelmed with emotion at some points. Although I am definitely glad we went, I don't think I want to go again for a while.

We headed back to Maryland after the museum to eat dinner before I needed to leave for home. Unfortunately, during our crazy busy day, we didn't find time to eat breakfast or lunch. We were extremely hungry!! Of course, we decided to remedy this by going to Chili's. I think our waiter was quite baffled after Joe and I consumed the chips, salsa, and queso we ordered for an appetizer in less than 5 minutes. All in all, we ate two helpings of chips and both of our meals. We really were hungry!


After dinner, we headed back to his apartment to get my bags before leaving for home. Saying goodbye to Joe seems to get harder every time we see each other. I always want to stay longer than possible, which really makes me sad. I can't help but fight back tears when I drive away and see him waving goodbye. I am so happy for him and the opportunities that Maryland will bring, but I can't help but have the desire to be close to him. To help cope with the sadness, I think that every time I see him is one time closer to getting married and seeing him forever! Thanks for a wonderful weekend, Joe. I love you so and miss you even more. I am very thankful for this opportunity and am eagerly counting down the days until I see you again!!

1 comment: